Album  

Photog Question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Home  /  RumbleBee.org - The Dodge Ram Rumble Bee Owner Community Forum Index -> General Photography
View previous topic :: View next topic  
joePA
Seasoned Veteran

Gallery pictures: 30
joePA's gallery

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 3:53 am    Post subject: Photog Question Reply with quote

So folks - I've seen many nice shots on here by others. Decided to upgrade (finally) and got a Canon XSi and 2 kit lenses. Seems like fairly good junk.

Just wondering if any of Y'all shooting this model - or something close?

Got into 35mm in '70 and hauled all of that heavyweight stuff around (and around the world) for many years. Bought a Dimage when they first came on the market cuz it had a 10X optical zoom and was a basic P&S so I didn't have to tote 20 lbs of lenses.

Now that the Grandbrats are hanging around here (one day per weekend - don't these brats ever go home?) I want to get better shots with more control. Dang, the Dslr is an improvement over the old 35mm stuff. Better pix at a much lighter weight.

Was looking at Nikon D60, D90, and D5000. DP site showed the Canon is slightly crisper and clearer so I should be able to crop and blow-up with a better final product............

QUESTION is - anyone else using one of these? After a week I am happy with it.

I have seen some good stuff on here, thus wondering if anyone of Y'all shooting this camera...........Thanks.

2009 Ram Sport ~ Quad ~ 4x4 ~ Brilliant Black Crystal Pearl ~ Loaded ~ Thunderstruck

3.92~32 gal~Adj Pedals~RER Nav unit~Moonroof~A/R Assault Wheels~20% Front Tint~BedRug~Borla~OEM Nerf Bars~Every Group Known To Mankind
Previous Rams: '96 RCLB 4X4 ~ '02 QC 4X4 ~ '05 Daytona QC 4X4

2011 CTS for oldwhatshername

Freedom is Never Free
rumble1418
Seasoned Veteran

Gallery pictures: 31
rumble1418's gallery

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just have a cheap kodak I bought from wally word. Its 12 mega pixexs, so it takes an amazing picture, but its just a cheapy. I need to upgrade to something better for the pictures me and the wifey take when the kid goes to bed.

"el'diablo, it means like a fighting chicken in spanish". -Ricky Bobby, Talledegga Nights
"Take the kids if you wanna, but don't you dare take my monkey".-Dewey Cox, Walk Hard
"I'm addicted to booze, weed, cocain and pills, but not LSD, you can't get addicted to LSD". -Dewey Cox, Walk Hard
Brownie2820
Veteran Member

Gallery pictures: 4
Brownie2820's gallery

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 11:18 am    Post subject: Couple of comments Reply with quote

Just my thoughts. I'm just an weekend photographer so don't put to much stock in what I THINK!

1) Appears as good comparison site :
http://www.bobatkins.com/photography/digital/canon_eos_xsi_vs_xti_vs_40D.html

2) I have an EOS xTI and love it. I also have a EOS xTI 35mm FILM xTI that is practically new but when the digital came out I couldn't resist.

3) Something that is not BOLDLY advertised is REMOTE trigger. I bought a little clicker that is WIRELESS and triggers the shutter from the front. Get your family together and posed - with YOU included - and just click. I think you have to have a certain model EOS xSI x for this to work???

4) Spend lots of time with your photo processing software. I use Image Expert and the "Quick Fix" as well as corrections can salvage pictures that you might not save any other way.

5) Microsoft has an unpublished "RESIZER" for WINDOWS EXPLORER that will MASS resize images. This is a womderful option. Take 150 grad pictures and they are all too oversized to share on the network, etc. single command and you can resize to any size you want. Will take a little looking around the Microsoft Update site (try search).

6) Found with all my EOS camera's that the flash is TOO BRIGHT inside. I made a little paper to hang over the flash (when popped up) that fixes that. Will try to make a template and describe in attachment. I printed using Microsoft PAINT and it came out about the right size. Slightly heavier paper (like extra glossy / matte picture paper works nice for this.

Other than that, have a ball taking pictures and remember the golden rule (even professionals) : lucky if 1 of 50 pictures is truly a good picture.

For what it's worth. Hope something here helps.
gamblingbug
Seasoned Veteran

Gallery pictures: 41
gamblingbug's gallery

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have shot with the XSI since it came out. I have several lenses and alot of filters and a corkin setup. I have shot aprox. 20,000 shots with mine and have had no problems. I love mine and would like to upgrade to the new model that shoots video also.

Play with it and read up on it there are alot of nice features and settings you can work with. Here are a few pic shot with mine. Laughing Laughing Laughing

Jesse The Bug
2010 RAM 1500 CREW CAB
HEMI
4x4
Tinted windows
GPS Navigation
Tv
Power windows, locks.
CUSTOM FLAMES
DEBADGED
BLACKED OUT TAILS
CAI
Ram Air Hood

More to come....
MelloYellow2675

Where there's one, there's sure to BEE more

Gallery pictures: 49
MelloYellow2675's gallery

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked Dang. I need one of those cameras.
John Varvatos Edition #1483/2000

--------------------------------------
Trey
ORANGE KRUSH
Past TOTM Winner

Gallery pictures: 34
ORANGE KRUSH's gallery

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 7:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Photog Question Reply with quote

joePA wrote:
So folks - I've seen many nice shots on here by others. Decided to upgrade (finally) and got a Canon XSi and 2 kit lenses. Seems like fairly good junk.

Just wondering if any of Y'all shooting this model - or something close?

Got into 35mm in '70 and hauled all of that heavyweight stuff around (and around the world) for many years. Bought a Dimage when they first came on the market cuz it had a 10X optical zoom and was a basic P&S so I didn't have to tote 20 lbs of lenses.

Now that the Grandbrats are hanging around here (one day per weekend - don't these brats ever go home?) I want to get better shots with more control. Dang, the Dslr is an improvement over the old 35mm stuff. Better pix at a much lighter weight.

Was looking at Nikon D60, D90, and D5000. DP site showed the Canon is slightly crisper and clearer so I should be able to crop and blow-up with a better final product............

QUESTION is - anyone else using one of these? After a week I am happy with it.

I have seen some good stuff on here, thus wondering if anyone of Y'all shooting this camera...........Thanks.

5D Mk II is my weapon of choice. I also have a plethura of lenses that I use as well. I'll add that none of the photos of my truck in my gallery were taken with this camera.

I have a lens that I am trying to get rid of that would work wonders on your Canon body. It's the Canon EF-S 17-55 f/2.8 IS USM. It's the quentessential lens for your body. Anything that you think you're lacking in Canon bodies will be made up for in the glass that you purchase.

Persistence

The Race Goes Not Always To The Swift...
But To Those Who Keep On Running.

-KRUSH

http://www.blackbee2056.com/krush.htm
www.cardomain.com/ride/2485870
TPowers

Worker Bee 3349

Gallery pictures: 11
TPowers's gallery

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im too cheap to buy a good camera.... I just use my Blackberry Embarassed

O4 Rumble Bee 4x4 ( Black #3349)
Cold Air Intake
Cat Back
Reprogramed/ Flash Tuned
joePA
Seasoned Veteran

Gallery pictures: 30
joePA's gallery

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK - from the top -

Stevie Ray - all you need is a Polaroid for your shots cuz you are a perv......

Brownie - Lots of good info - thank you Sir. I do have the microsoft resizing for a bunch of years - Staggie turned me on to that a while ago.

This is the site I use as my reference: http://www.dpreview.com/
Good reviews and comparisons. And they seem independent, not on the take from the manufactures..........Plus I peruse the forums, though I don't participate.

Good idea on the diffuser, but I might go bounce flash. It worked well on my old 35mm. I used offset on an L bracket, not hot shoe. Not even sure yet if I can do that with this camera.

And the 1 of 50 rule is much sweeter in digital. No processing costs, EH? Cheap to make mistakes now, unlike the olden days.

Gamblingbug - what can I say - I always loved the pix you posted on here. Dang, it will take me a long time to catch up to your ability. Your s*** is pure. Some day I'll get there........but my old 35mm experience will be helpful from a theoretical point of view. Just need to refresh it in my mind and think before shooting......Again - your stuff is so nice - good to know it's the same camera.

Krush - yeah the glass brings the abilities of the camera to the fore, but I'm gonna stick with the basic kit lenses for now.....must learn to use it to it's max first - plus gotta save more money.......... Wink

Mr Powers - I carry a Razr phone and the pix suk - enough said about that LOL

THANKS FOLKS FOR THE INPUT - hope I didn't bore the rest of the members on here..........

Addendum to all of this - there are no REAL camera stores in the ghetto town I live in anymore. Just BestBuy and Sears, etal. Found a real store about 40 miles up the road in Allentown PA. Felt like a kid in a candy store. Haven't seen junk like that in 40 years..........

2009 Ram Sport ~ Quad ~ 4x4 ~ Brilliant Black Crystal Pearl ~ Loaded ~ Thunderstruck

3.92~32 gal~Adj Pedals~RER Nav unit~Moonroof~A/R Assault Wheels~20% Front Tint~BedRug~Borla~OEM Nerf Bars~Every Group Known To Mankind
Previous Rams: '96 RCLB 4X4 ~ '02 QC 4X4 ~ '05 Daytona QC 4X4

2011 CTS for oldwhatshername

Freedom is Never Free
Da Beest
Site Moderator

Gallery pictures: 12
Da Beest's gallery

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

joePA wrote:
OK - from the top -

Stevie Ray - all you need is a Polaroid for your shots cuz you are a perv......

Brownie - Lots of good info - thank you Sir. I do have the microsoft resizing for a bunch of years - Staggie turned me on to that a while ago.

This is the site I use as my reference: http://www.dpreview.com/
Good reviews and comparisons. And they seem independent, not on the take from the manufactures..........Plus I peruse the forums, though I don't participate.

Good idea on the diffuser, but I might go bounce flash. It worked well on my old 35mm. I used offset on an L bracket, not hot shoe. Not even sure yet if I can do that with this camera.

And the 1 of 50 rule is much sweeter in digital. No processing costs, EH? Cheap to make mistakes now, unlike the olden days.

Gamblingbug - what can I say - I always loved the pix you posted on here. Dang, it will take me a long time to catch up to your ability. Your s*** is pure. Some day I'll get there........but my old 35mm experience will be helpful from a theoretical point of view. Just need to refresh it in my mind and think before shooting......Again - your stuff is so nice - good to know it's the same camera.

Krush - yeah the glass brings the abilities of the camera to the fore, but I'm gonna stick with the basic kit lenses for now.....must learn to use it to it's max first - plus gotta save more money.......... Wink

Mr Powers - I carry a Razr phone and the pix suk - enough said about that LOL

THANKS FOLKS FOR THE INPUT - hope I didn't bore the rest of the members on here..........

Addendum to all of this - there are no REAL camera stores in the ghetto town I live in anymore. Just BestBuy and Sears, etal. Found a real store about 40 miles up the road in Allentown PA. Felt like a kid in a candy store. Haven't seen junk like that in 40 years..........

Ho-Hum....Yawnnnnnn. Oh did you say something older fart??? Sorry, I fell asleep! cool_goatee

Brownie2820
Veteran Member

Gallery pictures: 4
Brownie2820's gallery

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 9:48 am    Post subject: I forgot to remember AGAIN Reply with quote

Forgot to mention that you PROBABLY CANNOT USE OLD FLASH. My old bounce flash (either on hot shoe or L bracket sends electrical charge BACK TO CAMERA and can really mess it up.

Have to buy new FLASH unit that is made for - DIGITAL - your camera.

Was real disappointed when I discovered that.

Have a great day.
mastrorj68
Seasoned Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a nikon D70, was agood camera. now i think the D90 is king at a reasonable price
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Home  /  RumbleBee.org - The Dodge Ram Rumble Bee Owner Community Forum Index :: General Photography All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: