Album  

Amp power problem?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Home  /  RumbleBee.org - The Dodge Ram Rumble Bee Owner Community Forum Index -> Ask Dwayne (Audio/Electronics)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
joshua804
Rumblebee Fanatic

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 1:50 pm    Post subject: Amp power problem? Reply with quote

Hi, I have a 1000 watt sony amp connected to a 1300 watt sony 10 inch sub. anyway everycouple of day the amp and sub stop working and the only way to get it to work it to pull the main fuse up front and plug it back in to reset the amp. i have 10 gauge wire coming from battery so I dont think that is the problem. would a Capacitor help at all?
hd4tools
Seasoned Veteran

Gallery pictures: 24
hd4tools's gallery

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 5:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Amp power problem? Reply with quote

joshua804 wrote:
Hi, I have a 1000 watt sony amp connected to a 1300 watt sony 10 inch sub. anyway everycouple of day the amp and sub stop working and the only way to get it to work it to pull the main fuse up front and plug it back in to reset the amp. i have 10 gauge wire coming from battery so I dont think that is the problem. would a Capacitor help at all?

if my math serves...1000w, 12v= 83.33A (I=p/e).

10ga wire is WAY to small. I would run 6 at least. Your are probably overheating the primary side of the amp and pulling the fuse resets it.

Of course Jesse would be the expert...

Harold
1990 Ram
pilotbear
Past TOTM Winner

Gallery pictures: 26
pilotbear's gallery

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

10 gauge wire is not sufficient. most amplifiers require a 4 gauge kit. if that amp is 1000 watts, you need a minimum of 4 gauge... your power wire is way too small. what size fuses are in the amplifier?

a capacitor is not the solution to your problem. the function of a capacitor is to basically make your bass response faster. it's a pulse-modulated power supply, which pulls power in bursts. it acts like a storage tank, so you would ideally want to mount it as close to the amplifier as possible, requiring the least amount of distance for the signal to travel.

first thing's first... change out your power and ground wires to at least 4 gauge. make sure you have a good ground. and please make sure you have your wires fused within 1 foot of the battery! try this and see if your problem goes away.

SCTB2865
Site Moderator

Gallery pictures: 14
SCTB2865's gallery

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pilotbear wrote:
10 gauge wire is not sufficient. most amplifiers require a 4 gauge kit. if that amp is 1000 watts, you need a minimum of 4 gauge... your power wire is way too small. what size fuses are in the amplifier?

a capacitor is not the solution to your problem. the function of a capacitor is to basically make your bass response faster. it's a pulse-modulated power supply, which pulls power in bursts. it acts like a storage tank, so you would ideally want to mount it as close to the amplifier as possible, requiring the least amount of distance for the signal to travel.

first thing's first... change out your power and ground wires to at least 4 gauge. make sure you have a good ground. and please make sure you have your wires fused within 1 foot of the battery! try this and see if your problem goes away.

Yup my cap. is like touching my amp almost! Very very short leads!! Wink

2004 S/E Black Bee #2865 268comps cam, p/p heads, SCT tuned all the goodies. Showroom cond. 11000 miles no rain/snow!
1978 GMC DIABLO #1607 outta 6607 made
1995 LIGHTNING #77 outta 2280, 824 in black.
1977 FIREBIRD 10.9's, 670 heads, 70 462cid
Haters are your biggest fans!
268 cam, click vid. and Listen! N/A Enjoy!

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/comps-roller-cam-268-2004_197503.htm

BeeMang
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pilotbear has it right. You should be using 4gauge-2gauge depending on how long your cables are. Always use the shortest amount of cable possible, you don't need much slack for anything, especially ground wire(1ft or less). You probably have a fire hazard on your hands. 10 gauge is for about 300watt max. Buy some good wire from a audio shop by the foot, not a cheap all in one kit. And for the speaker wire from amp to sub I recommend using 10gauge speaker wire, not the pencil thin stuff.
joshua804
Rumblebee Fanatic

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry every one I was wrong i have 4 guage wire running from the front to the amp. but am still having problems with it
BeeMang
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there a fuse on the actual amp(there should be), if so check it to make sure it's all the way in. Check you remote turn on wire going to the back of the head unit and make sure the connection is secure. It could be a problem with the fuse holder for the power wire, but I haven't seen them have too many problems.

It sounds like the power isn't getting to the amp, so it's got to be a problem with the power wire/fuse holder going to the battery, or the remote turn on wire. Those are my guesses off the top.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Home  /  RumbleBee.org - The Dodge Ram Rumble Bee Owner Community Forum Index :: Ask Dwayne (Audio/Electronics) All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: