Album  

04 Rumble bee performance issue

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Home  /  RumbleBee.org - The Dodge Ram Rumble Bee Owner Community Forum Index -> Ask HEMI 8U2 (Mechanical/Performance)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BigM93

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 7:57 pm    Post subject: 04 Rumble bee performance issue Reply with quote

My dad owns a 2004 Dodge Rumble bee. It has a 5.7L Hemi and an automatic transmission. Over the course of the past several months he has been having some technical issues with his truck. A few months ago it started down shifting or kicking down randomly while he was accelerating or just driving idly without him giving the truck anything more than enough to make it go. His truck keeps throwing a check engine light. We had a friend of ours who works at a local car dealership clear the code but it's done no good.

When his engine does this if he is somewhere where he can put it in park, shut it off, let it sit for a second, and then fire it back up, it's fine for about 5-10 minutes and then it starts the process all over again where it just bogs down randomly and down shifts when he is accelerating to the speed he wants or when he's just coasting along when he's at his desired speed. Sometimes it's a subtle sudden down kick but for the most part it's a very sudden strong kick/jerk that can be felt while driving.

Does anybody have any idea what this could be? Or has anybody had/currently have this same type of issue with their Bee? Any info is greatly appreciated.
Rizzar
Seasoned Veteran

Gallery pictures: 65
Rizzar's gallery

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

are you sure its downshifting, sometimes my rear end will jerk and I think its the gears in the axle, my Dakota does the same thing but its not often, and btw if you didn't know there is a recall on the rear axle, but I think when this problem occurs it locks the rear end up. they still haven't come up with a fix for that yet but there are plenty of trucks with a lot of miles that hasn't failed yet.
BigM93

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly I think you described it better. Jerk is the better way to describe it but it's a very violent and sudden jerk and then it sounds like it struggles in whatever gear its in. It sounds like it down kicks as the rpms go higher but it won't shift.
Bill_L
Seasoned Veteran

Gallery pictures: 22
Bill_L's gallery

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What was the code that showed up with the check engine light? Just clearing the light does no good without fixing what caused it.
2005 Ram Daytona #1445 / GoManGo! / Mopar CAI / SRT NightRunner 22s / Auburn LSD / Superior 4.56 Gears / Edge TQ / Shift Kit / Edelbrock Headers / Custom Dual Exhaust / Superchips Flashpaq with Trans Tuning / AEM WideBand / Summit Pulley / Viper Electric Fan / DJM 2” arms / McGaughys Flip with Notch and Air Bags / Hotchkis Swaybars / Retrax bed cover /
BigM93

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not quite sure what the code was. I'd have to ask the guy who cleared it for him.
scott2257
Seasoned Veteran

Gallery pictures: 24
scott2257's gallery

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you also have the rear differential fluid level and condition checked? I also believe there is a drive shaft recall that is out or just coming out.

Second swarm #2257 4X4
covermaster fiberglass cover w/painted stripes
at3030 and removed res.
stripe extensions
rear tailgate second swarm badge
brute force air induction system
SUPERCHIP programer (thanks Art)
mopar mud flaps(reduce paint chips)
Bedrug bed liner
lower billet insert (thanks brandy)
zuke
Seasoned Veteran

Gallery pictures: 27
zuke's gallery

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can pull the codes yourself, no need for a mechanic or reader.

Put the key in and turn it on and off three times (Not starting it!) on the third turn leave it on, and any stored codes will be shown in the odometer read out. Let us know what it says...

2005 "Second Swarm" #0857 *Traded in 2015*
BigM93

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Scott2257 - No we didn't have the differential fluid checked but it's definitely something I'll mention to my dad.

@Zuke - Thank you for the info! that will save us a trip back to the dealership, I will also let my dad know to try this and see what we come back with.
zuke
Seasoned Veteran

Gallery pictures: 27
zuke's gallery

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A quick you tube video of how to pull chrysler codes, since just saying it isn't clear...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vK_0byDDJpY

2005 "Second Swarm" #0857 *Traded in 2015*
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Home  /  RumbleBee.org - The Dodge Ram Rumble Bee Owner Community Forum Index :: Ask HEMI 8U2 (Mechanical/Performance) All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: