Album  

axle ratio upgrade

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Home  /  RumbleBee.org - The Dodge Ram Rumble Bee Owner Community Forum Index -> Performance
View previous topic :: View next topic  
frenchybee2306

Gallery pictures: 19
frenchybee2306's gallery

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 5:20 am    Post subject: axle ratio upgrade Reply with quote

Hey guys !!....greetings from France with my #2306
Like the title says...I am planning to upgrade the axle ratio to get more performance. Now my bee is cammed with a 268 Comp. Cams, 6,1L Hemi valve springs and pushrods.
rims are 22" and tires are 305/45/22
the actual rear axle ratio is the factory 3.92 so do you know guys what is the best to upgrade ??
4.10 or 4.56....more ?? Detroit True Trac ??...something else ??
Do I must to also swap the front axle or no ??

thank you all for your advices

MODS: VARARAM Air Intake - GIBSON Cat-Back - BADLANZHPE Ecutout - SONNAX line pressure booster - DIABLOSPORT Trinity - BBK Performance Throttle Body 85mm - JET Performance 180° F Tstat - FLEXaLITE Efan 183 - Black Honeycomb Inserts Grilles - DYNATECH SUPERMAXX LT's headers w/high flow cats - MSD IGNITION blaster coils and plug wires - EGR valve Block off plates - SRT10 Apillar gauge pod - SRT10 22"x10" Satin Black rims - CST leather cover seats - Comp Cam 268
RoasterStrudel
Seasoned Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've not done so, but I've heard many have most fun going to the 4.56 ratio. Does your truck already have a limited slip differential, or is it open?

frenchybee2306's gallery

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it seems that 4.56 is the best choice from what i have read in different forums.
no LSD
tires are 32" height

MODS: VARARAM Air Intake - GIBSON Cat-Back - BADLANZHPE Ecutout - SONNAX line pressure booster - DIABLOSPORT Trinity - BBK Performance Throttle Body 85mm - JET Performance 180° F Tstat - FLEXaLITE Efan 183 - Black Honeycomb Inserts Grilles - DYNATECH SUPERMAXX LT's headers w/high flow cats - MSD IGNITION blaster coils and plug wires - EGR valve Block off plates - SRT10 Apillar gauge pod - SRT10 22"x10" Satin Black rims - CST leather cover seats - Comp Cam 268
rowdog_14
Seasoned Veteran

Gallery pictures: 21
rowdog_14's gallery

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think a 4.33 would be great in my opinion like the Tundra's, but not an option for us Smile The common upgrade from 3.92 is 4.56. 4.10 is a good balance but just does not justify the upgrade for only .18 of a gear. If no factory LSD like you posted then I would do the Detroit LSD or Auburn LSD and 4.56. I would go with the Detroit and 4.56 because it takes regular diff oil unless I find a great deal on a factory LSD or a Auburn. The Auburn will need an additive like the factory LSD and people say you will have to rebuild after a while but I have not heard of anyone upgrading anytime soon.
Jet 180 stat:Trans Cooler:Gauges:Mopar Oil Pressure,Trans Temp,A/F:Dynamic Grounding:TB Grounding:Borla Cat-Back:Sonnax trans line pressure:BBK Shorties #4009:FastMan 85mm Throttle Body:HemiFever Custom Tune:Magnaflow y-pipe #10748:Doug's cutout #H1131 with QTP Electric Cutout: K&N CAI:Comp 268 Cam,6.1 springs and pushrods:Summit UD Pulley:McGaughys shackles:Belltech 5555

Upgrades to come:
1.Edge Torque Converter 2. Detroit TruTrac 3.Motive 4.56 gears
frenchybee2306

frenchybee2306's gallery

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rowdog_14 wrote:
I think a 4.33 would be great in my opinion like the Tundra's, but not an option for us Smile The common upgrade from 3.92 is 4.56. 4.10 is a good balance but just does not justify the upgrade for only .18 of a gear. If no factory LSD like you posted then I would do the Detroit LSD or Auburn LSD and 4.56. I would go with the Detroit and 4.56 because it takes regular diff oil unless I find a great deal on a factory LSD or a Auburn. The Auburn will need an additive like the factory LSD and people say you will have to rebuild after a while but I have not heard of anyone upgrading anytime soon.

thanks a lot for your input !
I think I will go with 4.56 only for now....
I see in your mods that you have done this upgrade so did you also upgrade the front axle ?

rowdog_14
Seasoned Veteran

rowdog_14's gallery

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I need to update my sig. I never installed them. They have been in my garage for about 2 years sitting in the shelf. I was in the same boat you were debating on 4.10 and 4.56
Jet 180 stat:Trans Cooler:Gauges:Mopar Oil Pressure,Trans Temp,A/F:Dynamic Grounding:TB Grounding:Borla Cat-Back:Sonnax trans line pressure:BBK Shorties #4009:FastMan 85mm Throttle Body:HemiFever Custom Tune:Magnaflow y-pipe #10748:Doug's cutout #H1131 with QTP Electric Cutout: K&N CAI:Comp 268 Cam,6.1 springs and pushrods:Summit UD Pulley:McGaughys shackles:Belltech 5555

Upgrades to come:
rowdog_14
Seasoned Veteran

rowdog_14's gallery

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok updated my Sig Smile

Upgrades to come:
frenchybee2306

frenchybee2306's gallery

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh OK...I see Smile
but the great question is:
my #2306 bee is a 4x4 so do I have to upgrade both front and rear ??
even if I never use the 4wd mode ??

zuke
Seasoned Veteran

Gallery pictures: 27
zuke's gallery

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strictly speaking, No you don't have to upgrade the front, but if you don't, I would also remove the front driveshaft, as even accidently engaging 4wd on pavement could be disastrous with the differences in wheel speed.
2005 "Second Swarm" #0857 *Traded in 2015*
rowdog_14
Seasoned Veteran

rowdog_14's gallery

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Strictly speaking, No you don't have to upgrade the front, but if you don't, I would also remove the front driveshaft, as even accidently engaging 4wd on pavement could be disastrous with the differences in wheel speed

x2

Upgrades to come:
Bee3296

Some mods

Gallery pictures: 33
Bee3296's gallery

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

4.56 are awesome one of the best mods I've done yet. You have to do the front drive shaft unless you want to convert to two wheel drive(which drops almost 500lbs by the way). If you want to stay 4x4 it's a must to do both axels.
Kris 2005 Second Swarm 3296 2X4, Honeycomb grill, 2/5 Drop, Shaved emblems,SCT stacked with Superchips,35% Tinted front windows 5% on back, Extang Low pro file cover,Motive 4.56's, Auburn LSD, 5" Sixpack 440 hood scoop, OBX Longtubes, Pioner Premier Head unit, 12" 1200XL MA audio subs. Soon to instal Inertia P&P Heads and Intertia SRTMax Cam

frenchybee2306

frenchybee2306's gallery

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks guys !!
I finally prefer to be safe and do both axles with Motive 4.56 gears 9.25" rear and 8.0" front I found on the web.
another question about that please...
Do I need something else to order like a install kit ?

Bee3296

Some mods

Gallery pictures: 33
Bee3296's gallery

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ye's and I believe it's just called an instal kit actually. Want to say it's gaskets and new bearings.
Kris 2005 Second Swarm 3296 2X4, Honeycomb grill, 2/5 Drop, Shaved emblems,SCT stacked with Superchips,35% Tinted front windows 5% on back, Extang Low pro file cover,Motive 4.56's, Auburn LSD, 5" Sixpack 440 hood scoop, OBX Longtubes, Pioner Premier Head unit, 12" 1200XL MA audio subs. Soon to instal Inertia P&P Heads and Intertia SRTMax Cam

zuke
Seasoned Veteran

Gallery pictures: 27
zuke's gallery

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll need "Minor" install Kits, This one for the front;

https://www.ringpinion.com/b2c/ProductDetails.aspx?ProdID=1343&Source=DiffWizard&ShowAA=true

And this one for the rear;

https://www.ringpinion.com/b2c/ProductDetails.aspx?ProdID=5377&Source=DiffWizard&ShowAA=true

The task you are about to undertake is not small, but neither is it difficult, what it does require is a lot of patience, You're also going to need some specialty tools to do it right.

You'll need a dial indicator, inch pound beam torque wrench, large sockets for the pinion yokes, and for the rear, you'll need a tool for turning the rings that set the backlash, like this one;

http://eastcoastgearsupply.com/i-129818-chrysler-7-25-8-25-9-25-side-adjuster-tool.html

I've never done a Chrysler 8" like you have in the front, so I don't know if you need any other specialty tools for that.

there are lots of good videos on youtube for setting up gear sets, watch several of them too get an idea of what you are getting into.

Also, while you are doing the rear, I would consider replacing all the bearings, the 9.25 is notorious for chewing up pinion and carrier bearings, if you decide to do that, just get the master install kit instead of the minor, and a set axle bearing and seals.

https://www.ringpinion.com/b2c/ProductDetails.aspx?ProdID=8987&Source=DiffWizard&ShowAA=true

https://www.ringpinion.com/b2c/ProductDetails.aspx?ProdID=4740&Source=DiffWizard&ShowAA=true

2005 "Second Swarm" #0857 *Traded in 2015*
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Home  /  RumbleBee.org - The Dodge Ram Rumble Bee Owner Community Forum Index :: Performance All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: