Album  

gauge face painting
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Home  /  RumbleBee.org - The Dodge Ram Rumble Bee Owner Community Forum Index -> Appearance
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rumble0942
Veteran Member

Gallery pictures: 37
Rumble0942's gallery

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2004 6:34 pm    Post subject: gauge face painting Reply with quote

Has anyone painted the face of their gauges yet? I bought an aluminum bezel off of ebay and the auction didnt say anything about cutting the original gauge cover but that is the only way I see to get it done. I was going to paint the bezel yellow but I dont see a way of placing it over the gauges without cutting. If anyine has any ideas please let me know. Thanks
melloyello
Seasoned Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2004 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Picture please Smile
vizaracer
Division 2 President

Gallery pictures: 14
vizaracer's gallery

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2004 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

one day im going to paint my gauge face yellow too. Very Happy

04 Rumble bee
Solar Yellow

AFE stage 2 CAI
srt gauge pod w/ mopar air/fuel gauge
tinted windows
yellow interior pieces from mrk
50 series flowmaster w/ no res.
rollin on 22's
Zex wet nitrous kit
Taylor 10.2mm wires
OBX LONGTUBES
SCT- tuned by hemifever
4.56's w/ posi
electric cutout
DJM 2/4 drop
comp 268 cam
flexalite 183 fan
summit underdrive
1 ton tranny cooler

waiting to install:
sharadon stage 3 vb
sir micheals roll pan
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Wildbee3685
Seasoned Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2005 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wont you lose the lighting behind the face???
vizaracer
Division 2 President

Gallery pictures: 14
vizaracer's gallery

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2005 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

im thinking of painting the bezel, not the gauges i mean. if you paint the gauges you will loose the light.

04 Rumble bee
Solar Yellow

AFE stage 2 CAI
srt gauge pod w/ mopar air/fuel gauge
tinted windows
yellow interior pieces from mrk
50 series flowmaster w/ no res.
rollin on 22's
Zex wet nitrous kit
Taylor 10.2mm wires
OBX LONGTUBES
SCT- tuned by hemifever
4.56's w/ posi
electric cutout
DJM 2/4 drop
comp 268 cam
flexalite 183 fan
summit underdrive
1 ton tranny cooler

waiting to install:
sharadon stage 3 vb
sir micheals roll pan
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
slammed1
Approved Vendor

Gallery pictures: 15
slammed1's gallery

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2005 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I was performing some drops in Dallas one afternoon a fellow Ram owner installed one of those Aluminum overlays on My Guage cluster!!! Really nice piece and added some flair to the Guages!!! He simply Pulled the cluster and Heated the assembly up in the OVEN at 150 degrees for a while to Soften the Glue(like removing the ambers on the headlights) and separated the cluster peices for access to the inside of the cluster!! It does get messy but if you are careful and take your time it will be worth it!!! I had thought of Painting the Black insert at one time until I seen the one he had and Got one myself!!! I know You bee Owners That might paint the black piece yellow would look Preety SHARP with the other painted accents in the trucks!!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger  
bee 549
Seasoned Veteran

Gallery pictures: 35
bee 549's gallery

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2005 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

like yeller said where are the pic's Mr. Green

Scan100091.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  130.76 KB
 Viewed:  360 Time(s)

Scan100091.JPG

chrome valve covers.srt-10 bumper cover
billet insert for radiator
LINE of FIRE LIGHT BAR.mod list=srt-10 floor console/5.7-6.1 conversion kit/6.1 cam & springs& rods/magnaflow Y pipe. 6.1 valve covers & coil packs.
Rumble0942
Veteran Member

Rumble0942's gallery

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2005 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess there is a misunderstanding, I have the aluminum piece that covers the gauges. I couldnt figure out how to place it over the gauges without cutting the original black plastic bezel. I am not painting the gauges themselves just the bezel. I have purchased another original bezel from dodge and will try the oven trick with it. I am assuming that the oven trick allows you to to remove the clear part of the original bezel. I will try that some time this week and post pics if it works, if it doesnt I will post pics of the mess.
Rumble0942
Veteran Member

Rumble0942's gallery

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I finally got a chance to finish the gauges. I used a heat gun instead of the oven( my oven is digital and will only go down to 170). The heat gun worked great and wasnt messy at all. I just heated up little sections and used a flat head to pry it open. I think it looks awesome. Thanks for all the help and suggestions

P1170391.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  618.11 KB
 Viewed:  381 Time(s)

P1170391.JPG

slammed1
Approved Vendor

Gallery pictures: 15
slammed1's gallery

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That does look nice!!!!! Great Job!!! I had considered painting mine til I got a hold of the Overlay myself....now you got me thinking painting Mine Graphite or Dull aluminum????HHMMMMMM
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger  
Wildbee3685
Seasoned Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

is it fairly simple to get to the face plate?
Rumble0942
Veteran Member

Rumble0942's gallery

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got the plate off of ebay for 13 shipped to texas. I had to clean up the back with a dremel but only took about 5 minutes. 30 minutes from start to finish after I painted the piece.
Wildbee3685
Seasoned Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

not quite what i ment 0942, how many screws does it take to get to it?
and is there any clips or ......... you know things that break when you dont know they are there!
Rumble0942
Veteran Member

Rumble0942's gallery

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In order to get to the gauge cluster I had to take out 5 screws, then there are 4 that hold the cluster in. I took out the two screws above the column, two on the panel the covers the bottom of the dash and the screw in the little hook to the right of the radio. Everything else pops out of place. I would be careful removing the shroud around the clear bezel, it has two metals clips that pull out but if you are not easy with it you may scratch the clear part. The piece with the light switch and the air vent just pulls out, screws or anything holding it back. Here is the order I did it in. I know it long but hopefully it will help.

-remove all 5 screws, two on bottom panel, two above column, and 1 to the right of the radio.
-pull the bottom panel towards the driver seat, straight out it has two metal clips at top.
-pull the panel to the left of the column with the air vent, i started from bottom/right corner it comes off really easy
-next was the panel around the radio, biggest piece. I pulled on the hook until it popped out there and then went to the left side right behind the key, then to the top of the radio. This piece will remain there unless you un-hook all of the a/c controls
-turn the key on and put the tranny into 1st gear, all the way down, this will allow you to remove the shroud around the gauges. this is the piece that will potentionally scratch the face at the bottom, I started from the top, pop it out and then you can lift up and out
-there are four screws that hold the gauges in, I put masking tape on the face of the gauges before I took the screws out so that I wouldnt scratch it
-this is the hardest part, you will have to tilt the top of the cluster towards you to get to the harness plugs, there is one on the right and two together on the left. I had a little flat head that I used to push the retainings clips down. This is a very tight spot.
-once you get the cluster out ther are 6 or 7 torx head holding the bezel to the gauge cluster.

I had the new bezel painted before I did any of this so it took about 45 minutes total. Waiting on the glue to dry takes the longest.

Good Luck
melloyello
Seasoned Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your speedo only goes to 120?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Home  /  RumbleBee.org - The Dodge Ram Rumble Bee Owner Community Forum Index :: Appearance All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: