Album  

Spare tire removal
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Home  /  RumbleBee.org - The Dodge Ram Rumble Bee Owner Community Forum Index -> Division 3 - Mid-West
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BEECUZ
Two Time TOTM Winner

Gallery pictures: 92
BEECUZ's gallery

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 9:53 am    Post subject: Spare tire removal Reply with quote

Beecuz here. Beecuz I just can't see how the spare tire can bee lowered when the angle of the rods that you are supposed to put through the access hole is at such a steep angle the end will not fit on the square nut that sets just over the spare tire. There is no way I could've customized this area, even with the roll pan. Terry made roll pan low enought that the access hole is in plain sight. But.....when I insert the rod (ya I know this has overtones of a pervert) it is at such an angle that when it hits the square nut on the underside of the truck and above the spare tire, it has such an angle that it would never fit on that nut. Can't imagine doing that out in the country in a rain storm or whatever weather. Has anyone done this with the supplied tools or am I faced with using a wrench, and how did you do that with the little room that's above the spare tire. Need some help on this one. Thanx. When body shop put the roll pan on they also took the easy way and attached the under vehicle lights to the spare tire with wire ties. Have to make a bracket for that I guess. But like I said, the roll pan does not interfere with the access hole in any way, totally open and easy to get into, but the angle is just not right to slip the supplied wrench on the square nut.
Don........Beecuz / #3850
Staggie
Seasoned Veteran

Gallery pictures: 91
Staggie's gallery

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: Spare tire removal Reply with quote

BEECUZ wrote:
Beecuz here. Beecuz I just can't see how the spare tire can bee lowered when the angle of the rods that you are supposed to put through the access hole is at such a steep angle the end will not fit on the square nut that sets just over the spare tire. There is no way I could've customized this area, even with the roll pan. Terry made roll pan low enought that the access hole is in plain sight. But.....when I insert the rod (ya I know this has overtones of a pervert) it is at such an angle that when it hits the square nut on the underside of the truck and above the spare tire, it has such an angle that it would never fit on that nut. Can't imagine doing that out in the country in a rain storm or whatever weather. Has anyone done this with the supplied tools or am I faced with using a wrench, and how did you do that with the little room that's above the spare tire. Need some help on this one. Thanx. When body shop put the roll pan on they also took the easy way and attached the under vehicle lights to the spare tire with wire ties. Have to make a bracket for that I guess. But like I said, the roll pan does not interfere with the access hole in any way, totally open and easy to get into, but the angle is just not right to slip the supplied wrench on the square nut.

Joe (Da Beest) had to crawl under his truck with a socket in order to lower his spare.

Da Beest wrote:
Our crank wouldn't work due to the angle of the roll pan, so we used, I believe a 9/16th socket and it came right down!
BEECUZ
Two Time TOTM Winner

BEECUZ's gallery

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanx Staggie. Can use that info, but have question also. First, my roll pan isn't even close to that access hole, Terry made sure of that. Second if he used a 9/16 socket, did he also use a universal fitting that goes beteen the socket and the, wait that wouldn't work either. OK did he use an extension from a wrench kit, what I mean is one that will fit the universal at the other end. Heck, I'm not saying what I picture in my mind. What I mean, did he use a non Dodge tool kit rod to the universal then to the 9/16 socket. Otherwise, how did he turn the 9/16 with the little room that is there. What a stupid set up this really is. There's no way I did anything to the set up, as it's part of the bed, and my roll pan is well below that hole. They just have a very bad angle. To help matters, everything they give us with the truck is square, doesn't make it any easier.
Bee Keeper
Post Whores Anonymous member

Gallery pictures: 4
Bee Keeper's gallery

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't have any trouble the one time I dropped the spare with the stock bumper ... Confused

Hemi: (HEM -e) adj. Mopar in type, V8, native to the United States, carnivorous, eats primarily Mustangs, Camaros, and Corvettes. Also enjoys smoking a good import now and then to relax.

BLACK/SECOND SWARM #2971
FUNCTIONAL 440 SIX PACK HOOD
MOPAR BED COVER W/STRIPE
STRIPE EXTENSIONS
TINTED WINDOWS
DEBADGED
KATZKINS
BEDRUG
275/55/20 NEXEN ROADIAN HP's

GO FAST OR GO HOME! Piss on Ford
BEE0912
Seasoned Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bee Keeper wrote:
Didn't have any trouble the one time I dropped the spare with the stock bumper ... Confused

Yeah neither did i but the roll pan guys including my self can not drop them down.
BEECUZ
Two Time TOTM Winner

BEECUZ's gallery

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I'll try again. My roll pan is well below the hole for the dodge supplied rod to go through. Nothing has changed there, the hole is right where they put it, with nothing in the way of it. In fact my lights under the tailgate are actually attached to the tail gate and I have that off. Nothing is impeding me to the access hole. Now I feel under for the nut under over the spare tire, and find it, knowing I have do nothing under there to change that except run some wires for under vehicle lights. It's right where they put it. But.....when I stick the rod that they supplied in the hole, it goes down toward the nut at such a steep angle the end will not fit on the nut, unless they supplied a universal and socket, and I can't seem to find that if they did. You are right the 9/16 fits the nut, but darn, there just isn't any room to turn it easily. Make take all day just to lower it at that rate, unless I can find a universal to fit my 9/16 or go buy one, which I am about to do. Would this be tough if it wasn't on ramps and in my dry cement garage. Well I have AAA, so I would just call them to take the tire and get it fixed and bring it back out. Ya sure.
BEECUZ
Two Time TOTM Winner

BEECUZ's gallery

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keith, what you mean, "Can not drop them down." It looks like there's room enough as the roll pan has an area cut out where the tire would drop through, but there's also room at the front so I would just push it forward a bit. Do think I will have to rock it a bit to get it to drop trough the room that is there. But ya scare me when you say "can not drop." Does look like there might be room. Just bought the unniveral socket and will now try to turn that screw from the outside and hope the universal will allow that angle. This is just one more reason to get that thing out of there. Would be a real tough job on the road somewhere and have to go through this. Thought Ford had all the good ideas, but thnking Dodge can't bee far behind with this setup. There is no way that I can think of that I created this angle from the hole down to the square end of the lowering screw.
Invader
Site Co-Administrator

Gallery pictures: 128
Invader's gallery

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haven't had any trouble with either truck roll pan or not.

BEECUZ
Two Time TOTM Winner

BEECUZ's gallery

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roger, does the nut over the spare tire drop several inches down from the level of the hole. I can get a universal to fit now I think, but have the truck on ramps and having a hard time reaching up for the weak stomach muscles, but think that may work. I have had the spare down once, before the roll pan, but like I said Terry has the flange of the roll pan well below the hole, and there is nothing customized in that area except some wiring for the lights. Can't see why it's on such an angle but think the universal will allow me to turn it now, just gotta figure out how to sit up high enough to get under there and get it on the nut. Using a creeper and can't hold my self up. Maybe just sitting under it will allow me to get high enough to put the 9/16 on the square nut. We'll get it, just gotta hope when Keith said can not get the spare down, he didn't really mean it quite that way, looks like I will have to rock it past obstackles but it will eventually come down. Know one thing, it ain't going back up there again. I'll grease it up and wrap it in plastic, but it ain't boona bee used again.
BEECUZ
Two Time TOTM Winner

BEECUZ's gallery

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well guys with the right tools it was easy. Thanx for all the help and encouragement. The 9/16 was perfect, but I needed a univesal socket adaptor, and two 10" extensions and it was ready to go. The tire dropped down easily in the space that was there with just a bit of rocking. So we have the spare out and the tail gate off. Should be good for .1 next time we run. Thinking I will grease the tire holder and wrap it in plastic to give a nice non-rusted gizmo for the next guy to put the spare back there if they should want to. I also found a rather large connector under there, don't know what it was for, but completely exposed to the burning of rubber. Think I will put dielectric grease on it and wrap it in plastic also, so it could be used for what ever it's used for. Thanx again. Now have to figure out how to keep the spare tire from becoming a missle on sudden stops. (like what a tree would do, or another cement wall)
Invader
Site Co-Administrator

Gallery pictures: 128
Invader's gallery

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't even carry a spare any more due to the different tires sizes. I can't put the stock spare on now anyway.

BEECUZ
Two Time TOTM Winner

BEECUZ's gallery

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roger, do you have AAA, or how do you firgure on fixing a flat. I know better than to leave it in the back of the truck, but I do have several cargo bars, and I will put something under the spare. Also, when I go to race I have the two slicks back there. Three missles, one could probably take me out. At least I'm not carrying that thing down the strip, or the tailgate.
SCTB2865
Site Moderator

Gallery pictures: 14
SCTB2865's gallery

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I havnet had a spare forever. Just take the 80lb turd out and just put it in the bed on long trips.

Man Don, that was a toughfy ahhhh? Wink

2004 S/E Black Bee #2865 268comps cam, p/p heads, SCT tuned all the goodies. Showroom cond. 11000 miles no rain/snow!
1978 GMC DIABLO #1607 outta 6607 made
1995 LIGHTNING #77 outta 2280, 824 in black.
1977 FIREBIRD 10.9's, 670 heads, 70 462cid
Haters are your biggest fans!
268 cam, click vid. and Listen! N/A Enjoy!

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/comps-roller-cam-268-2004_197503.htm

SCTB2865
Site Moderator

Gallery pictures: 14
SCTB2865's gallery

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BEE0912 wrote:
Bee Keeper wrote:

Yeah neither did i but the roll pan guys including my self can not drop them down.

What..

2004 S/E Black Bee #2865 268comps cam, p/p heads, SCT tuned all the goodies. Showroom cond. 11000 miles no rain/snow!
1978 GMC DIABLO #1607 outta 6607 made
1995 LIGHTNING #77 outta 2280, 824 in black.
1977 FIREBIRD 10.9's, 670 heads, 70 462cid
Haters are your biggest fans!
268 cam, click vid. and Listen! N/A Enjoy!

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/comps-roller-cam-268-2004_197503.htm

BEECUZ
Two Time TOTM Winner

BEECUZ's gallery

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

YA Jay what Keith said. Well, it was tough beecuz the angle was so much that nothing would fit the square peg above the spare tire. Fianlly bought a universal socket and a couple extensions and that allowed me to turn it down with a ratchet from outside the truck. Came down pretty easy, just had to slant it a tad to clear the roll pan. Yes it was easy with the proper tools, not that stuff they put under the drivers seat.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Home  /  RumbleBee.org - The Dodge Ram Rumble Bee Owner Community Forum Index :: Division 3 - Mid-West All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: