Album  

Needing a new head unit

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Home  /  RumbleBee.org - The Dodge Ram Rumble Bee Owner Community Forum Index -> Ask Dwayne (Audio/Electronics)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stingdaman
Seasoned Veteran

Gallery pictures: 15
stingdaman's gallery

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 6:38 pm    Post subject: Needing a new head unit Reply with quote

Ok I have a couple questions and statements. My last head unt was a Dual xd6400, i bought it cause it had all the features i wanted. USB hookup, aux input, Bluetooth with purchase of mic. I've had it almost 3 years I believe! I know this is a cheaper brand but I have been pleased with their performance.

But it died last week! and the unit i had before this was also a dual and the motorized face plate broke after a 1 and half

Im now looking at getting a new one, with the same features, I def need something that plays mp3 cds and either has a usb or sd card slot and aux input(have a Mp3 player) I've seen a Dual one I like, a Sony and a JVC

Dual has every option I want for around 120-130 including HD radio

the sony has all the options without the HD for 190

the JVC is 120, but to use the BT u need to buy a 120 adapter.

I know thiers other choices, crutchfield is where I've been doin online shopping, the other 3 I've seen at walmart. We have 2 Audio stores in town, but the price a lil higher on everything, opinions plz

2005 Solar Yellow Bee #2903
20" Chrome/Black Chrome Forte F40 Nokturnal
Bakflip
20% tent on rear 35%(legal) on sides 20% front strip!
Bed Rails
Vent Visors
Console Hotbox 12" sub
Line-x Bedliner
pilotbear
Past TOTM Winner

Gallery pictures: 26
pilotbear's gallery

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

first of all, the price is going to be higher at audio shops because it usually includes installation. if you take it to a reputable shop, you are getting a warranty on the labor and the equipment. if you purchase online, it's very difficult for you to get a warranty at all.

second, i would push you away from dual for the reasons you previously stated, JVC and sony. i would like to see you look more toward kenwood. go to their website and look at what they have available. their decks are reliable, usually offer a bunch of cool features and are reasonably priced.

Bee#4460
Rumblebee Fanatic

Gallery pictures: 21
Bee#4460's gallery

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

in my opinion alpine is the best in quality. im getting the cda 9886 for my truck and it has all the features that you described you wanted although it is kinda pricey. here's the link if you wanna read up on it.

http://signature.crutchfield.com/s_500CDA9886/Alpine-CDA-9886.html?search=alpine+cda+9886&ssi=0
Meengreen5.2
Seasoned Veteran

Meengreen5.2's gallery

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have a jensen vm9213, it has a usb port for your sd cards (usb sd card adapter included) or for your mp3 player, it plays cd's mp3's dvd's wma's vcd's. it has an aux in and it includes the cable. its bluetooth/nav ready (you would need to buy the brain and the bluetooth brain seperately) its touch screen and the screen res. is great! Its also rearview camera ready (i got my rearview camera on ebay for 25 bucks!) ill get some pics of my hu for you bro.

I got it from sonic electronics on ebay, as long as you have your original box with all the original packing equipment, you will have a warranty. the remote controll on my unit crapped out and they are in the process of shippin me a replacement, i had to email em a copy of my paypal invoice and ship em my remote so they could send me a new one.

1 year manufacturers warranty if you buy from sonic electronix on ebay.

daystar coil spacers
flowmaster muffler
magnaflow high flow y pipe and cat
52mm tb
spectre intake
2010 ram 1500 hemi
2013-16 front end swap
4"rear coil swap
superchips 3865
k&n intake
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
drivecustoms
Approved Vendor

Gallery pictures: 12
drivecustoms's gallery

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meengreen5.2 wrote:
1 year manufacturers warranty if you buy from sonic electronix on ebay.

Well that is not true! The warranty is through them (Sonic) and not the manufacture! That is what these places will tell you but they are liers. I am glad they are replacing it for you. Most of the time these online places will not follow through on warranty issues or make it very hard on you.

As far as the question about headunits goes. SPEND A LITTLE MORE to get a better quality unit to start with!!!!!!! I can not tell enough people this! Stay away from the lower end brands. They all break and most of the time it is just after the 1 year warranty. So you end up buying another one and maybe even another one a year after that. If you would have just spent the few extra $$$ to start will and got the better unit you only have to spend money ONCE and not more money because you had to buy 2 or 3 units. People just do not get this. You get what you pay for when it comes to most electronics these days.

Sorry if I came off a little strong but I am just tired of telling people this over and over.

Coming from someone that deals with this stuff for a living please buy something from the bigger companies like Kenwood, Alpine, Pioneer or if you have to Sony. Stay away from the Dual flipouts! They have something like a 90% fail rate. (that came directly from a person that works for Dual)

Parts from: Arc Audio, Borla, Brembo, CDT Audio, Dynatech, Focal, Kenwood, JL Audio, Illusion Audio, Injen Technology, Mosconi
Services: Back-Up Aids, Bluetooth Kits, Custom Stereos, Homelink, iPod Integration, Katzkins Leather, Mobile Video, Satellite Radio, Vehicle Security & More
rumble4life21
Seasoned Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ya go with alpine thats what i have....or sony or kenwood get away from the duals my friend had one also and didnt last tooo long......
Throttle Body Spacer
Jet 180 T-Stat
Chrome Intake
Dynatech Supermaxx LT's Headers
Sharadon Stage III Valve Body
4.56 Motive Gears
Single Flowmasters Duals
Black Hemi Bedliner
Tires Hankooks Ventus
SilverStar Ultras High Performance Headlights and Fogs
BlackedOut HeadLights
Inside Floor yellow lights kit
Underglow bodykit
Python Remote Start Security Alarm
Meengreen5.2
Seasoned Veteran

Meengreen5.2's gallery

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well i called sonic electronics and told them, they told me to call jensen directly and they gave me a number .Jensen and audiovox, energizer,rca are all the same company. All i needed to do was explain who i bought it from to the jensen phone teller, she told me to email them a scanned copy of my paypal receipt and mail the remote out to them. Sonic electronics actually keeps track of their warranties.

so far, so good with my HU. check out the reviews on it.

daystar coil spacers
flowmaster muffler
magnaflow high flow y pipe and cat
52mm tb
spectre intake
2010 ram 1500 hemi
2013-16 front end swap
4"rear coil swap
superchips 3865
k&n intake
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
pilotbear
Past TOTM Winner

Gallery pictures: 26
pilotbear's gallery

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meengreen5.2 wrote:
well i called sonic electronics and told them, they told me to call jensen directly and they gave me a number .Jensen and audiovox, energizer,rca are all the same company. All i needed to do was explain who i bought it from to the jensen phone teller, she told me to email them a scanned copy of my paypal receipt and mail the remote out to them. Sonic electronics actually keeps track of their warranties.

so far, so good with my HU. check out the reviews on it.

germ, i'm glad you were able to get it covered.

that being said, i will rephrase what jesse said about online stores that claim to offer warranties. i don't want someone thinking that just because one person was able to get a faulty piece of equipment replaced that this is the case 100% of the time. in fact, more like 90% of the time, the manufacturer itself refuses warranty replacement because you did not purchase through an authorized dealer/retailer.

at any rate, it is worth the extra few bucks to have an authorized shop provide you with equipment and installation. more likely than not, if you have a problem, they will replace it with no cost to you and cover their labor as well.

and let me just promote small businesses again... when you purchase equipment from online sources (most specifically eBay), you are taking business away from local shops. i know we all want to save a buck, but i can't tell you how many times jesse and jay get someone that comes in the shop asking for a price on a system and then shops online, purchases the equipment and comes back in expecting them to install it. they don't turn people down, but at that point, the labor rate goes up to offset the money they didn't make on the product. see how that works?

anyway, stick with the big name brands and purchase through reliable and authorized sources. Smile

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Home  /  RumbleBee.org - The Dodge Ram Rumble Bee Owner Community Forum Index :: Ask Dwayne (Audio/Electronics) All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: