Album  

Tuner instead of Custom ECM
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Home  /  RumbleBee.org - The Dodge Ram Rumble Bee Owner Community Forum Index -> Ask HEMI 8U2 (Mechanical/Performance)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bacaruda

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:10 pm    Post subject: Tuner instead of Custom ECM Reply with quote

3 yrs ago I was going to get custom ECM with custom torque controls. Didn't because of employ issues. Now looking again. Any tuners turn off torque controls? ECM only option? That would really wake up my truck, more would just be better.
Thks.,

Jim.
RoasterStrudel
Seasoned Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just personal opinion, I think a handheld tuner would give you some of the versatility you're looking for. The torque management setting itself can cause weird issues with the transmission, if that's what you're regarding to.

Superchips, SCT, and Diablosport are some of the most common handheld units. They should be able to squish a little more power out of your truck.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No my big issue is a 0-60 in 6.0 sec., and it will hardly turn a tire from idle stop. It will maybe do a full turn, maybe 2 if I power brake some.
It can't get on the "curve" untill 20MPH+. 15-20MPH it's a rocket, but from stop it's a turd.
RoasterStrudel
Seasoned Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So do you already have a programmer?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, I've been recomended Diablo Sport T1000 or some thing $699!
NOT!
RoasterStrudel
Seasoned Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want a Diablosport, look for the model U7137 Predator. It's older, not as fancy, but much cheaper, can be found used (nothing to wear out, just make sure it's unlocked) and it may be possible some places still have a few old ones left in stock that are still new.
Seasoned Veteran

Gallery pictures: 22
Bill_L's gallery

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would not recommend turning the torque management all the way off. I have the Superchips with the transmission tuning and will not run less than about 8-10% on the TM otherwise it doesn't shift right.
2005 Ram Daytona #1445 / GoManGo! / Mopar CAI / SRT NightRunner 22s / Auburn LSD / Superior 4.56 Gears / Edge TQ / Shift Kit / Edelbrock Headers / Custom Dual Exhaust / Superchips Flashpaq with Trans Tuning / AEM WideBand / Summit Pulley / Viper Electric Fan / DJM 2” arms / McGaughys Flip with Notch and Air Bags / Hotchkis Swaybars / Retrax bed cover /
bacaruda

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill_L wrote:
I would not recommend turning the torque management all the way off. I have the Superchips with the transmission tuning and will not run less than about 8-10% on the TM otherwise it doesn't shift right.

Thanks Bill, I'll check it out. Are you saying don't reduce TM more than 8-10%? Or leave 8-10% active?
I always thought TM was more under control of ECM and TB.

Thanks,
Jim
rowdog_14
Seasoned Veteran

Gallery pictures: 21
rowdog_14's gallery

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill_L wrote:

I agree. I would go with a SC 3865 or a 3950. You can customize your shift points too. See the following website for some sample shift schedules and TM%.

http://mcfail.net/superchips/

Jet 180 stat:Trans Cooler:Gauges:Mopar Oil Pressure,Trans Temp,A/F:Dynamic Grounding:TB Grounding:Borla Cat-Back:Sonnax trans line pressure:BBK Shorties #4009:FastMan 85mm Throttle Body:HemiFever Custom Tune:Magnaflow y-pipe #10748:Doug's cutout #H1131 with QTP Electric Cutout: K&N CAI:Comp 268 Cam,6.1 springs and pushrods:Summit UD Pulley:McGaughys shackles:Belltech 5555

Upgrades to come:
1.Edge Torque Converter 2. Detroit TruTrac 3.Motive 4.56 gears
bacaruda

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rowdog, I see TP%, i.e. Throttle Position%, but no TM%, i.e. Torque Management.
I'd like full throttle shift point increased, but want to see RPM not MPH.
I manual shift a lot, auto shift points don't care.
It runs 0-60 in 6sec. flat, but won't spin a tire. Ist gear below 2500-3000
is a dog. I need to back off torque controls. There's a lot here without engine enhancement.

Thanks
rowdog_14
Seasoned Veteran

rowdog_14's gallery

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes TP% is the Throttle Position %, TM is able to be set too. Get with SilsHemi at Dodgetalk.com. He can give you better information that I can, but like Bill_L said 8% is the common sweet spot for the TM%.

Or just PM Bill_L and he can probably help you out. Honestly I have only been studying this stuff (for a long time) and have not physically done the SC tuning yet. I just have been researching enough to talk about it with someone who has no knowledge of it. If you want detail then that is out of my ballpark. I am looking to get a SC3950 in the next few months so if I get it and learn more about physically doing it then I can help you from there.

Jet 180 stat:Trans Cooler:Gauges:Mopar Oil Pressure,Trans Temp,A/F:Dynamic Grounding:TB Grounding:Borla Cat-Back:Sonnax trans line pressure:BBK Shorties #4009:FastMan 85mm Throttle Body:HemiFever Custom Tune:Magnaflow y-pipe #10748:Doug's cutout #H1131 with QTP Electric Cutout: K&N CAI:Comp 268 Cam,6.1 springs and pushrods:Summit UD Pulley:McGaughys shackles:Belltech 5555

Upgrades to come:
bacaruda

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks row, got my interest with those charts. I can understand some, but wow, this thing will get my truck to shifting 2-3 at 102mph! And 3-4
at 148MPH!! I gotta' have this! But really, I don't know what the model vehicle was, but a truck, not. Not stock except for SC tuner anyway. And
besides, shift MPH doesn't mean squat for performance, it's rpm.
But I'm checking it out, just got layed off again after 18mo. back to work.
Thanks for IRA to keep going but it won't buy parts!

Jim.
rowdog_14
Seasoned Veteran

rowdog_14's gallery

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a link that will give you some more info. There are 1000's of post on this subject and a few more forum post, but this one has some good information. Look at post 392 down.

http://www.dodgetalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=284244&page=20

Upgrades to come:
bacaruda

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks ROW, I'm going to squeeze into budget somehow. Sold '69 Barracuda 383 fastback two years ago to finance pontoon boat, now I still need some performance.

To all, what is up with this stuff, never heard. A/F:Dynamic Grounding:TB Grounding ?

Also thinking of Fastman TB, feedback?

Jim.
rowdog_14
Seasoned Veteran

rowdog_14's gallery

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bacaruda wrote:
To all, what is up with this stuff, never heard. A/F:Dynamic Grounding:TB Grounding ?

Also thinking of Fastman TB, feedback?

Jim.

A/F=air to fuel ratio gauge

Dynamic grounding-I would just google it and get a more detailed explanation of it. Honestly I could not tell a difference.

TB grounding- with the hemi throttle body, it is a drive by wire system. So people figured that it gives the throttle body a cleaner signal if you ground the throttle body. Honestly I did not notice a difference.

Fastman TB- did feel a difference but honestly I would have rather put the money towards the superchips or a torque converter. The ported polished TB helps with the upgrades I have but I would have waited and made this one of my last upgrades.

Upgrades to come:
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Home  /  RumbleBee.org - The Dodge Ram Rumble Bee Owner Community Forum Index :: Ask HEMI 8U2 (Mechanical/Performance) All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: