Album  

Want to shave a half second off my ET
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Home  /  RumbleBee.org - The Dodge Ram Rumble Bee Owner Community Forum Index -> Ask HEMI 8U2 (Mechanical/Performance)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Killer5.7Hemi
Member




Joined: 16 May 2014
Posts: 4

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 2:38 am    Post subject: Want to shave a half second off my ET Reply with quote

Hi I'm new to this forum, but I've been a voyeur for a while. What made me finally sign up & post was the fact you guys seem to have racing knowledge & experience and also the idiots over at the Dodge Forum are so far up their own butts with zero knowledge to speak of for what I seek and most of them are all condescending jerks.

Just seems like a better fit for me here.

Anyway, I'm looking to shave a good half second off my ET give or take a few tenths, currently the best I've run is a 15.2 at 91mph. My truck currently has a stock 5.7 hemi and weighs in at 5160 lbs without me in it and current mods are just K&N Intake and Filter and Open muffler. Unlike most of you guys, my truck is a bit of a Rumble Bee Rip off, its actually Red with a Black stripe on that back that says "Ramble Bee" instead of Rumble Bee, either way its family to your trucks Smile

What I want to start with is just the basics such as,

SCT Tuner Run with at least 93 octane
Headers
85mm Throttle Body
Swap my alloy 20s for 17 inch steel rims (During Race time).
Porting the Intake & exhaust Ports just a little

Just kind of wondering what it will take to get down to the 14.6 to 14.8 range and what to expect with the above mods along with my current K&N and Open Muffler arrangement. Any other small tips like certain mods these Hemi's like or spark plugs they respond best to...any little stuff like that.

Thanks Much
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message  
zuke
Seasoned Veteran




Joined: 19 Apr 2005
Posts: 1518
Gallery pictures: 27
zuke's gallery
Location: Northern Virginia

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All the mods you list are heading in the right direction, and may put you in range of 14.7~14.8.

Are you already doing all you can to drop weight? Taking the spare and tailgate off, everything out of the bed?

Beyond the things you've listed and the weight savings, you're starting to talk bigger cost mods, And I think you are likely to need more to get below 14.6 in a Ram 5.7.

How is it putting power down off the line? Any loss of traction?

Do you know if you have 3.92 gearing in the rear end? A positraction could also help with the launch.

_________________
John ~aka~ zuke
2005 "Second Swarm" #0857 *Traded in 2015*
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Killer5.7Hemi
Member




Joined: 16 May 2014
Posts: 4

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zuke wrote:
All the mods you list are heading in the right direction, and may put you in range of 14.7~14.8.

Are you already doing all you can to drop weight? Taking the spare and tailgate off, everything out of the bed?

Beyond the things you've listed and the weight savings, you're starting to talk bigger cost mods, And I think you are likely to need more to get below 14.6 in a Ram 5.7.

How is it putting power down off the line? Any loss of traction?

Do you know if you have 3.92 gearing in the rear end? A positraction could also help with the launch.


Thanks for your reply,

I have not taken the tail gate off or spare tire yet, I weighed the truck yesterday at 5160, that's with a metric set of sockets & wrench rail, sub woofer and amp and several other trinkets in the truck lol I obviously would remove that when racing so I have the potential to cut a few hundred pounds.

As for gears I've got 3.55s, and depending on the time of day traction can be an issue, if its real hot out during a cloudless day and I'm running 20-25psi in the tires I can launch at half throttle with little to no tire spin in 2wd, generally I just throw it in 4x4 for straight line launches, punch it to the floor & shift back into 2wd by 25mph to get a good launch, gotten my best times that way.

I really wouldn't mind getting in the 14.7 range, I'd be happy with that. This morning when I went for coffee, the truck seemed to have nitrous, thing moved way better than any of my runs at the track.

My main goal is to beat my friends step dad who has a BMW X5 that runs a 14.8, I really have no aspirations to go much deeper into the 14s than 14.6.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message  
Oakland Hemi
Rumblebee Fanatic




Joined: 07 May 2014
Posts: 73

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most simple way is add NOS, "wet kit" with a rpm switch and spray from 3 to 6 grand. Start with a 50 shot and go up from there. You will love it.
_________________
Built to spray
My NOS can beat up your NOS.
One Owner #3176
www.goldgoliath.com
Joined site Nov. 2004 as soco88, lost my password to that account again darn-it!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message  
booky
Seasoned Veteran




Joined: 02 Feb 2006
Posts: 1573
Gallery pictures: 61
booky's gallery
Location: Van Wert, OH

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would definitely start with the basics:

Weight reduction, CAI, Long Tube Headers, Handheld Tuner with Custom Tune and Sticky Tires.

From there you could go with 4.56 gears with Detroit Truetrac.

_________________
>>Greg<<
2005 DAYTONA 4x4 #08876
Dynatech Supermaxx Headers w/ Cherry Bomb Extreme - AEM Brute Force CAI
Superchips Flashpaq Tuner-Performance Level
3" Body Lift Kit w/ Nitto 35's
.
2016 Dodge Challenger Hellcat
Red Key(707 HP)+A8 Auto+3.09 Gears+DR's
.
2012 Shelby GT500 (sold)
2003 Mustang Cobra (sold)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail  
zuke
Seasoned Veteran




Joined: 19 Apr 2005
Posts: 1518
Gallery pictures: 27
zuke's gallery
Location: Northern Virginia

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't realize you were 4x4, That's gonna make a re-gear twice as expensive, but the 3.55 gears are probably a big part of what's slowing you down.

Honestly, 15.2 is pretty damn good for 4x4 with 3.55s, But I'd still go the route you are planning to start, and keep us posted on how it's going.

_________________
John ~aka~ zuke
2005 "Second Swarm" #0857 *Traded in 2015*
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Killer5.7Hemi
Member




Joined: 16 May 2014
Posts: 4

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oakland Hemi wrote:
Most simple way is add NOS, "wet kit" with a rpm switch and spray from 3 to 6 grand. Start with a 50 shot and go up from there. You will love it.


That's not a bad idea lol How much is a 50 shot going for on average? kit & fill up?

And thanks for the replies guys, I'm going to probably order the Sct Tuner in the next two weeks and test that out. Then If you guys have some suggestions on a good name brand of header I'm open to suggestions. I bought some ebay headers for my 97 Ram and they leak to the point of me wanting to pull my hair out lol.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message  
Oakland Hemi
Rumblebee Fanatic




Joined: 07 May 2014
Posts: 73

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Killer5.7Hemi wrote:
Oakland Hemi wrote:
Most simple way is add NOS, "wet kit" with a rpm switch and spray from 3 to 6 grand. Start with a 50 shot and go up from there. You will love it.


That's not a bad idea lol How much is a 50 shot going for on average? kit & fill up?

And thanks for the replies guys, I'm going to probably order the Sct Tuner in the next two weeks and test that out. Then If you guys have some suggestions on a good name brand of header I'm open to suggestions. I bought some ebay headers for my 97 Ram and they leak to the point of me wanting to pull my hair out lol.


Google Zex nitrous wet kit but I believe the base kit runs about $550 plus tax.
You will also need a bottle gauge, purge, MSD rpm switch, colder spark plugs and bottle heater. Total for mine several years ago was about $1,200.Install was additional $250. NOS will give you the most for your money and these Hemi's can handle a 125 shot stock all day long. The MSD switch will keep you from spraying at dangerous rpm's. It's the most important part of the kit.
Where else can you get real H.P. for about $1,450 bucks. Get it and terrorize your friends.

_________________
Built to spray
My NOS can beat up your NOS.
One Owner #3176
www.goldgoliath.com
Joined site Nov. 2004 as soco88, lost my password to that account again darn-it!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message  
Killer5.7Hemi
Member




Joined: 16 May 2014
Posts: 4

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oakland Hemi wrote:
Killer5.7Hemi wrote:
Oakland Hemi wrote:
Most simple way is add NOS, "wet kit" with a rpm switch and spray from 3 to 6 grand. Start with a 50 shot and go up from there. You will love it.


That's not a bad idea lol How much is a 50 shot going for on average? kit & fill up?

And thanks for the replies guys, I'm going to probably order the Sct Tuner in the next two weeks and test that out. Then If you guys have some suggestions on a good name brand of header I'm open to suggestions. I bought some ebay headers for my 97 Ram and they leak to the point of me wanting to pull my hair out lol.


Google Zex nitrous wet kit but I believe the base kit runs about $550 plus tax.
You will also need a bottle gauge, purge, MSD rpm switch, colder spark plugs and bottle heater. Total for mine several years ago was about $1,200.Install was additional $250. NOS will give you the most for your money and these Hemi's can handle a 125 shot stock all day long. The MSD switch will keep you from spraying at dangerous rpm's. It's the most important part of the kit.
Where else can you get real H.P. for about $1,450 bucks. Get it and terrorize your friends.


Do you have pics of your setup? Also do you keep your bottle in the bed of the truck?

I'm actually kind of intrigued on doing this lol. I want to smoke my friends Dad's BMW X5 really bad. He might think something is up if I go and run a 120 shot of nitrous lol. I want to do it in the most descrete way possible!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message  
Oakland Hemi
Rumblebee Fanatic




Joined: 07 May 2014
Posts: 73

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have pics somewhere and I will look for them. The bottle fits perfectly behind the passenger seat in the plastic box and it's convenient when I want to play to reach back and open the valve.

My switches, "On-Heater-Purge", are on the bottom removable collar of my center console below the cup holders to the left side.

Everything else is mounted at top of fire wall under the hood.

Let someone pull up next to you at a stop light wanting to run and hit the purge. NOS shoots out about 12 feet up above the cab and their eye's get real wide.

NOS is worth the purchase just to purge it and see people's reactions. You will EAT a srt-10 to pieces running light to light because they never hook up and our trucks will. Spraying 3-6 grand gives very little tire spin. Best purchase I ever made.

_________________
Built to spray
My NOS can beat up your NOS.
One Owner #3176
www.goldgoliath.com
Joined site Nov. 2004 as soco88, lost my password to that account again darn-it!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message  
Oakland Hemi
Rumblebee Fanatic




Joined: 07 May 2014
Posts: 73

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's been so long since I posted to my gallery, I can't remember how to do it. Somebody help me out.

Thanks

_________________
Built to spray
My NOS can beat up your NOS.
One Owner #3176
www.goldgoliath.com
Joined site Nov. 2004 as soco88, lost my password to that account again darn-it!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message  
dmacell
Veteran Member




Joined: 01 Nov 2013
Posts: 220
Gallery pictures: 23
dmacell's gallery
Location: levittown PA

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use photobucket and just post the copied link

_________________
Dmacell
04 supercharged Rumblebee #2807
500rwhp @ 10psi
Also own
2012 charger superbee in yellow too!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail  
Oakland Hemi
Rumblebee Fanatic




Joined: 07 May 2014
Posts: 73

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You lost me on that one. Sad but I need to get my daughters help on figuring out what to do to post pictures.

I originally joined the site in Nov. or Dec. 04 with username soco88.

My pictures should be on there as well. I can also send them to you as a text.

Love the Novi!

_________________
Built to spray
My NOS can beat up your NOS.
One Owner #3176
www.goldgoliath.com
Joined site Nov. 2004 as soco88, lost my password to that account again darn-it!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message  
Oakland Hemi
Rumblebee Fanatic




Joined: 07 May 2014
Posts: 73

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Off topic but it's great. MY 15 year old daughter just got her learners permit last week and drove the Bee for the first time today. She said at first it was a little scary and it's faster than mom's Maxima; priceless.
She was with me when I bought it new and it's great to look at pictures of her and her little sister sitting in the drivers seat when they were barely tall enough to see over the door panel.

_________________
Built to spray
My NOS can beat up your NOS.
One Owner #3176
www.goldgoliath.com
Joined site Nov. 2004 as soco88, lost my password to that account again darn-it!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message  
dmacell
Veteran Member




Joined: 01 Nov 2013
Posts: 220
Gallery pictures: 23
dmacell's gallery
Location: levittown PA

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been teaching my 17 yr old daughter to drive, but wont let her touch either bee. She bought a neon for $3750 with only 60k. Truck is a bit large to learn on...lol.
So i have a photobucket accout. I upload my pictures there. Then i can select the picture and next to it is several ways to link it. Just select copy on the link then paste it into youre post.. Here is her neon...lol


Dont feel bad my daughter helped me post pictures the first few times too.

_________________
Dmacell
04 supercharged Rumblebee #2807
500rwhp @ 10psi
Also own
2012 charger superbee in yellow too!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail  
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Home  /  RumbleBee.org - The Dodge Ram Rumble Bee Owner Community Forum Index :: Ask HEMI 8U2 (Mechanical/Performance) All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2004 phpBB Group
Charcoal2 Theme © Zarron Media