Album  

5.7 Threw a Rod Bearing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Home  /  RumbleBee.org - The Dodge Ram Rumble Bee Owner Community Forum Index -> Problems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RonsBee#2488

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 1:28 pm    Post subject: 5.7 Threw a Rod Bearing Reply with quote

My 2004 starting knocking on start up about 2 years ago, but would quiet back down as soon as the oil pressure built up. I read this was a common problem with the 5.7 HEMI so I just accepted it.

Another issue that started about the same time was upon hard acceleration on the freeway and usually during the warmer summer months my oil pressure would drop enough to zero out the dummy gauge on my dash. The first time this happened I didnt notice it immediately and I could hear the top end chattering. Embarassed This problem was very rare and occurred only a hand full of time since, but since I knew to look for it I would immediately shift to neutral, shut the motor down, coast for a few seconds, restart the engine, shift back to drive and just keep on going without issue.

The other day I noticed the normal knock on start up did not go away. Fortunately I only had 2 miles to get home. The next day i went to start the motor and it had a very hard time turning over. On the third attempt it did start and seemed to idle fine. However as i drove it down the street it was obvious something was wrong as the knocking increased in loudness as i increased the RPM's. I went right home and researched a trust worthy shop to take it to.

To make a long story a little shorter, I took my Bee to a highly rated mechanic who told me that he and his partner agreed that just by listening to it that I had thrown a rod bearing and should replace the motor.

Does this sound reasonable to you guys or should i take it elsewhere and make them drop the pan?

If i do have to replace the motor, I want to purchase a new 5.7 long block. Any recommendations? The mechanic suggests Jasper Engines, but I've found a better price and warranty through Powertrain Products.
DaveIam
Seasoned Veteran

Gallery pictures: 20
DaveIam's gallery

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A knock, along with the hard starts does mean the engine is on it's way out. I myself have never used Jasper engines but one of my old bosses used one to replace his 4.7 hemi in his 04 Ram. He had nothing but good things to say about it, warranty, quality, etc...
Old truck 2005 Rumble Bee 4x4 #0317
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Home  /  RumbleBee.org - The Dodge Ram Rumble Bee Owner Community Forum Index :: Problems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: