Album  

392 Transplant?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Home  /  RumbleBee.org - The Dodge Ram Rumble Bee Owner Community Forum Index -> Ask HEMI 8U2 (Mechanical/Performance)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Second Swarm #4890

Original Owner

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:55 pm    Post subject: 392 Transplant? Reply with quote

Hi Guys,

has anyone attempted or completed a transplant of a 392 SRT whole drivetrain from a new Gen Challenger or Charger to a BEE?

I've been thinking of doing 1 worthy mod to my #4590

1.- Supercharger
2.- NOX
3.- Blower
4.- SRT Transplant

My slush funds available for this initiative is right at 10k

any suggestions or thoughts?
djmwell

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One guy on here has a 392 in his with 60 mm turbos it's on YouTube if you Wana see it. if I were you I would do the engine so then down the line you don't have to worry about anything because it's a much newer powerplant
Second Swarm #4890

Original Owner

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, that looks a little extreme!. My thing is that when I first bought my bee (band new) it boasted 375 HP but if it wasn't for the 3.92 gears in the rear end it is just about average on get up and go. Yes I have thought about, headers, new differential, NOS, blower, Turbos and such but I think that may just be asking for a lot of maintenance. It's not like I am racing it either but I would like the power behind the throttle. I recently got a new Challenger with a 392 and man-o-man does it get up and go ! I have seen a number of chargers and challengers hit from the rear and the cost of the drivetrain is about $6k. I would have to think it would require a little modification to shove the drivetrain in since there is ample room under the hood.

By the same token, look, my Bee is bone stock except for a cold air intake and an exhaust cutout (QTP) other than that I m getting 14MPG (as long as I remain on good behavior. My challenger with 485hp gets 19mpg and I think its heavier than the Bee.
DaveIam
Seasoned Veteran

Gallery pictures: 20
DaveIam's gallery

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Bees came with factory 345hp, with your mods you may have 350hp if your lucky. Your best bet would be to go to a Mopar show in your area. You will be able to see what people have done and ask them questions. Find out about reliability and maintenance issues they have. You may also find a good deal on a 6.1 or 6.4 HEMI engine. One of the last Carlisle shows I was at had complete 6.1s for $4,000.
Old truck 2005 Rumble Bee 4x4 #0317
Second Swarm #4890

Original Owner

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is about the right dollar amount I am thinking for a swap. I wonder if that would be the best use of my Bee slush fund in order to give it a little kick in the pants w/o installing NOS which in the long run I would only do on a new engine built for it.
WDM Bee
Veteran Member

Gallery pictures: 33
WDM Bee's gallery

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 6.1 based 392 stroker hemi in my bee. Fully forged. Has twin 66mm turbos now. Has a built, reverse manual, 727 torqueflite trans. Made 820 to the wheels 3 years ago on 18 psi and should make well over 1000 wheel horse when I go get it tuned on the 22nd of this month.
If it were me in your situation, id do a stroker motor. Maybe a decent set of heads to go with it. You could easily find a good used 5.7 hemi short block somewhere and build the bottom end. It's an easy swap. You literally just swap every part from your motor on to the built short block. Then you could also do a cam, valve springs, pushrods, etc. only thing to worry about at that point is the stock trans. It's almost guaranteed to go out with those modifications. So if you don't want to do all that, I personally would reccomend throwing a set of 4.56 gears and a Detroit tru-trac in it and calling it a day. Besides my stroker motor, and the twins, 4.56 gears were definitely my best modification. It makes quite a significant difference in the low end power. I mean I eventually switched back to 3.92s because I went twins. But that's different.

Sorry about the novel, haha, I kinda just started rambling.

Twin 76mm turbo 392c.i. Stroker hemi w/ built 727 torqueflite making 820 horse to the wheels.

Best 1/8th: 7.07 @ 103 mph.
Second Swarm #4890

Original Owner

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like novels with a good ending Smile

Other than the twins, what was the number taken out of the slush fund for your Beautification project?
BEECUZ
Two Time TOTM Winner

Gallery pictures: 92
BEECUZ's gallery

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know where you can get a great tranny. Did it in 3850 when I blew mine out. It's the shop in Minn. Can't think of his name right now but I know he has his bee on You Tube and it is extremely fast. I bought a stage two from him and never had a problem with it with four years of drag racing. We were getting 12.2 but I know we had the power for the 11's until the slicks kept breaking loose. Vette time then. OH, I think his business is called Sharadon's and it is above Minneapolis a few miles. His bushiness is complete rebuilds of the older chargers and challengers and seeing his place was just jaw dropping at what was setting in that building. But he has good trannies. None of my buisness in what you are doing, but I have been there a bit and getting to old to participate like I did, but I still have a Ram and it isn't stock. Can't drive it stock even at my age and I had to ask the dealership I I run an 8 speed across an intersection when someone looks at me wrong at the light. have to grow old, refuse to grow up.Remeber this too. No matter how fast you are, someone will come along with something faster, always. My vette had nitrous and cam.
Don........Beecuz / #3850
Second Swarm #4890

Original Owner

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BEECUZ

you are so right and I have to laugh cause what you say about intersections and unable to drive a stock car is the way I have been feeling for some time now. I love my Bee and they are becoming scarce nowadays and every time I take her out I want to make sure she is no slouch if "anyone looks at me wrong" Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Home  /  RumbleBee.org - The Dodge Ram Rumble Bee Owner Community Forum Index :: Ask HEMI 8U2 (Mechanical/Performance) All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: