Album  

6.1 It's time..........
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Home  /  RumbleBee.org - The Dodge Ram Rumble Bee Owner Community Forum Index -> Performance
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jay2865
Site Supporter

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Accesories are in the wrong spot on the 5.7 for the intake...
Buuuut there is a couple that have converted.....
And the kits will run around 300 to 500..
So we can run the 6.1 intake...
It's in the process as we speak................... Wink
srt10kllr
Veteran Member

Gallery pictures: 6
srt10kllr's gallery

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only mods the 6.1 heads needs are for the EGR and some silicone because the ports on the 6.1 heads don't match up to the 5.7 intake. Also, you might consider getting the Manley springs, ti retainers and rods while you are at it. The Manley rods for the 5.7 and 6.1 heads are different.

IMO it's cheaper to just p&p the 5.7 heads and have bigger valves put in along with the Manley stuff.

STS Turbo for sale check out: http://www.rumblebee.org/viewtopic.php?t=16431
jay2865
Site Supporter

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup!! Will have to send the 5.7's back no biggie same price..........Exchange for free...... I have an 04 so yes the egr will have to be drilled i nthe 6.1's again no biggie.......And on the intake runners gonna have to deal with it I guess..................... Wink
Koby
Seasoned Veteran

Gallery pictures: 45
Koby's gallery

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mangodaytona wrote:
I hear the problem with switching to the 6.1 intake is all of the pulleys up front have a diffeerent arrangement............ anybody??

That is true only if you do the 6.1 intake! And yes there are people working on that and have done it too but not sure of the HP gain from it yet!
They 6.1 heads will fit with all the same belt stuff no problem. I would do the manley stuff and headers as well as a cold air intake. Plus you may wanna get 6.1 fuel inj. as they will help, but you can still run the 5.7 and it will work just be a bit lean I hear! While your at it do a thermostat and E-fan plus motoblue pully (as long as you dont have the toner problem)

GoManGo! 05 - Daytona QC 4x4 #2365

www.daytonatruckclub.com
www.daytonachargers.org
rumblebee1638
Seasoned Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is gonna be a long one. I am in the process of doing the 6.1 intake and heads on my bee. The 6.1. intake has the TB in the front, so the 5.7 wires need to be extended. The 6.1 has no EGR, so the intake has to be drilled and tapped for whatever kind of fitting you decide to use to connect to the 6.1 heads that also do not have a provision for an EGR valve. That will have to be machined into the 6.1 head as well. The AIT and MAP sensor on the 6.1 are in different locations than the 5.7, so those wires will have to be lenghened/re-routed. The reason the intake needs silicone is because the port windows on the 6.1 heads are bigger. This is not a huge problem if you use the 5.7 intake, but you will not be flowing as well as if the 6.1 is used. Plus the 6.1 looks so much better! BTW, the 6.1 intake is so tall that the crossover plug wires are OUT! The fuel line on the 6.1 cars comes up on the passenger side of the vehicle, so the fuel lines have to be re-routed. The 6.1 heads have like a 7 cc smaller chamber, so the CR goes up by just under one point, Don't even think about less than 93 octane, and Superchips is most likely out because timing can not be advanced.
rumblebee1638
Seasoned Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I assume nobody would put the factory log manifold on a set of 6.1 heads, but maybe that is a false assumption. The exhaust ports on the 6.1 heads are so large that even my Dynatechs with 1 3/4 primaries may have to have thier bolt holes elongated for the best matchup. 1 5/8 primaries need not apply. The 6.1 intake with its front mounted TB has no room between the AC compressor and alternator on our trucks. so a custom bracket is being worked up by a couple members of DTW to move the accessories out to the sides. A last note is the 6.1 valve covers fit the 5.7, but the coil mounting is different. I am going with the 6.1 coils and covers so they will bolt up, plus the 6.1 coils do away with the shortie plug wires and the coil mounts right on both plugs on the cylinder it is bolted to. However, the 6.1 coils have a different plug than the 5.7s, so you have to buy a 6.1 top end wiring harness and splice the wires or remove and transfer the plugs. Simple....HUH??? Anybody wanna join me?
blackbee
Approved Vendor

Gallery pictures: 37
blackbee's gallery

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

UUMMMM, Yeah....

What He Said, LOL........

2004 #208
April 07 Truck of the month
SCT hemifever, Dynatech, No cats
Hotchkis, Bilstiens, Edge, Sharadon
Baer, Toyo, etc
BeeLover
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will reiterate my previous statement. If you use 6.1L heads and a 5.7L intake manifold there is a quite bad port mismatch. I'm not just saying the 5.7L ports are smaller on the intake manifold. They are also physically in the wrong place to match up. If any of you try this, as JamesD has done, please take the time to lay this out and show yourself the level of mismatch before just bolting them up.

The 6.1L intake manifold has 280mm long intake runners vs. the 320mm long runners in the 5.7L manifold. This will hurt your low end and mid range TQ. It's no big deal if you build the rest of your package to suit, but if you start shifting your stock transmission above 6000 rpm on a regular basis beware. For most of us that don't do it all the time, it would likely never be a problem, but it will drastically shorten the life of the transmission in any case. Our transmissions aren't the most robust thing even when used with the stock engine and shift points.

Hemi Bee #163
Seasoned Veteran

Gallery pictures: 23
Hemi Bee #163's gallery

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BeeLover...............good to see you back. As far as running the 6.1 heads and intake..........the best and most efficent way to handle things is to port and polish what you have now, do a 6.1 cam and leave it at that. I don't see a noticable enough HP/Trq to justify the cost of doing the 6.1 intake swap. If it would give you 25 HP it'd be one thing, but its not going to happen. I can see it benefiting a NOS junkie, but not even that really.

2004 Dodge Ram Rumble Bee #163

2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee SE

1987 Buick Grand National Turbo, almost bone stock, honestly.

1986 Shelby Charger Turbo All Stock except cosmetic upgrades

1986 Shelby Charger TII Project in the making, screw a T-I, this will be a sleeper/monster as well, looking for 11s again, just can't live without "spooling" my way around! Thank God for FWD Perf and Cliff Ramsdell!
Hemi Bee #163
Seasoned Veteran

Gallery pictures: 23
Hemi Bee #163's gallery

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beelover, and I know if anyone knows you will by all means. What do you forsee HP/TQE gaining out of swaping intakes??

2004 Dodge Ram Rumble Bee #163

2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee SE

1987 Buick Grand National Turbo, almost bone stock, honestly.

1986 Shelby Charger Turbo All Stock except cosmetic upgrades

1986 Shelby Charger TII Project in the making, screw a T-I, this will be a sleeper/monster as well, looking for 11s again, just can't live without "spooling" my way around! Thank God for FWD Perf and Cliff Ramsdell!
srt10kllr
Veteran Member

Gallery pictures: 6
srt10kllr's gallery

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hemi Bee #163 wrote:
BeeLover...............good to see you back. As far as running the 6.1 heads and intake..........the best and most efficent way to handle things is to port and polish what you have now, do a 6.1 cam and leave it at that. I don't see a noticable enough HP/Trq to justify the cost of doing the 6.1 intake swap. If it would give you 25 HP it'd be one thing, but its not going to happen. I can see it benefiting a NOS junkie, but not even that really.

I agree with Hemi Bee that it is not worth the change over when you can just p&p your stock 5.7 heads and flow more that the stock 6.1 heads without the headache. You can also get bigger valves for the 5.7 heads if you wanted even more flow.

rumblebee1638 wrote:
The 6.1 heads have like a 7 cc smaller chamber, so the CR goes up by just under one point, Don't even think about less than 93 octane, and Superchips is most likely out because timing can not be advanced.

I read that the 5.7 heads are 85cc and the 6.1 heads are 74cc so the 6.1 heads are 11cc smaller. You can use Superchips but you have to stick with the 87 tune and 91-93 gas or you will detonate and the pcm will pull timing.

STS Turbo for sale check out: http://www.rumblebee.org/viewtopic.php?t=16431
S Bee C
Seasoned Veteran

Gallery pictures: 3
S Bee C's gallery

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:49 pm    Post subject: will it bee done.... Reply with quote

So Jason..... sounds like a great mod !! Are you going to be done by May 13th so you can show it off to the rest of us !!! Laughing Laughing
'05 Dodge SS #4633-
'93 Dodge W250 CTD
'79 Harley FXEF (owned since '82)
jay2865
Site Supporter

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very close heads take 3 weeks. Then trying to get into Blood enterprises in Kent/Auburn so they can do it, now thats another story......I'm trying hard.......... Wink
firegabe
Division 7 President

Gallery pictures: 34
firegabe's gallery

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jay you are the man! also thanks for starting a great topic that has has fantastic Positive talk about the pros and cons and even other options!
*RockfordFosgate300X1amp.*MudFlap*ShakerHood*K&Nfipk*MarkVIIIe-fan*ASPcrankpulley*Taylor10.5shortywires*Irridium plugs*Powdercoatedvalvecovers*yellowOptima*bumperBilletGrill*engravedGasCap&rearViewMirror
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Home  /  RumbleBee.org - The Dodge Ram Rumble Bee Owner Community Forum Index :: Performance All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: